The environment is important to us. We are committed to taking the necessary steps to protect our ecosystem and continually improve our environmental performance. Both of our environmental teams play a key role in ensuring the Club and its programs are environmentally conscious. We strive to be a leader in eco-friendly management.
Kelowna Yacht Club has been awarded the TOTA 2021 Eco-Efficiency Award, which recognizes organizations that have demonstrated excellence in managing environmental impacts, particularly in energy efficiency and sustainable management of waste and water. KYC is one of three organizations that have been recognized and awarded for leading the sustainability path for other businesses in BC.
Throughout 2021, KYC has developed and applied actions from certified programs such as; TOTA’s Biosphere Program and Clean Marine BC. We gathered data from 2015 – today, and worked with our two Green Teams – Member Committee and Staff to evaluate and analyze the target actions we will implement over the next 8 years, having 2030 as the goal to be aligned with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
Decade of Action
Throughout October 2021 KYC participated in the Decade of Action Program organized by TOTA, BC Tourism Resiliency Network and Sinergy Enterprises. Building a sustainable future for BC tourism through the UN Sustainable Development Goals by helping businesses to connect and collaborate. Over 4.5 weeks KYC worked with key players within our organization to build our own SDG Strategy and Decade of Action Plan. More details will be shared spring 2022!
Want to know more about the 18 UN Sustainable Goals? Watch this!
Clean Marine BC Certification
Kelowna Yacht Club has a Clean Marine BC certified 4 anchor eco-rating!
As we strive to be strong stewards of our beautiful lake, we have embarked upon the Clean Marine BC Program.
This involves assessing our performance in a number of critical areas, from refueling procedures, to waste management and restaurant policies.
Do your part and follow the guidelines to minimize your impact on Okanagan Lake.
Download the Clean Marine Guide to Green Boating
As local communities and businesses have a central role in the move to sustainable tourism, the Kelowna Yacht Club has recently committed to the Biosphere Program developed by TOTA in partnership with GSTC, GreenStep, and go2HR to move to a more sustainable tourism.
This program will provide the Club opportunities for networking, partnerships, development training workshops, platforms to promote individual sustainability projects and more.
Programs, Campaigns & Events
These are some of the programs we are currently running and others to be implemented throughout the year:
- The last straw – Kelowna Yacht Club is taking steps to help eliminate waste. In our Member Lounge, straws are only served by request, and the only options we carry are biodegradable.
- Keep our lake fresh – Kelowna Yacht Club, in partnership with the City of Kelowna, provides a public pump-out station. This allows boaters to pump their effluent into the sewage treatment system instead of the lake.
- Eco-Efficiency Program – As one of the core programs of our Biosphere Commitment, we monitor and analyze to reduce our resource consumption and apply any necessary awareness campaigns within staff and Club members, see video below.
- Eco-Cleaners & Eco-Products – The front office and The Galley only offer its members eco-cleaners and biodegradable and/or compostable commodities with the purpose of reducing our waste impact on the environment.
- Shore Clean-Ups (Spring & Fall) – At the beginning and end of the Spring-Summer season, we invite our members and staff to engage with the community to work as a team to clear all waste and debris along the shoreline and the KYC basin that could affect the aquatic ecosystem.
- GoByBike Week (Summer & Fall) – Encourage staff and members to participate in the community program for the betterment of the environment and mental wellbeing.
- 7 Affirmations for 7 Generations (Thompson Okanagan Regional Pledge) – Through TOTA, KYC took this regional pledge based on Indigenous philosophy that recognized that the decisions an individual makes today will have an impact for as long as seven generations to come. Therefore, it is the responsibility of the individual to consider impacts on the environment and the people who inhabit the area when making decisions. Take the pledge – Click here!
- Sustainable Lifestyle App – The Galley is now part of the amazing app which helps anyone, anywhere to find sustainable businesses, shops and brands at home or while travelling.
Download the Free app – For Apple iOS For Android
- Recycling & Waste Program – Throughout 2022 this program was implemented to minimize waste and ensure that recycling and composting was correctly utilized by both staff and members.
- Outdoor Adventure Camp – Summer 2022 we a kid’s day camp for ages 7-11 to learn about the environment in a fun-filled way. The program provided education around preserving the earth and following sustainable goals.
- Stewardship of the lake talk
- Diversity & Inclusion workshops for our staff
- Speaker Sessions (People & Culture)
- From sea to shore- Green Boating week
- One Less for a Blue Community
Highlights of our environmental policy.
The Kelowna Yacht Club recognizes how vital maintaining a clean, natural environment is to our operations. As such, we are committed to the following:
- Eliminate the release of contaminants to the water column, both directly and indirectly
- Minimize the release of pollutants to the atmosphere
- Avoid contamination of the ground
- Adopt waste reduction, reuse and recycling strategies
- Optimize energy and water conservation
- Promote good environmental practices to all
Want to get involved?
Join our Green Committee – Would you like to get involved, give ideas to improve your community and volunteer at any of our Eco-events? Email us here.